Skip to main content
The Official Web Site of the State of South Carolina

Residential Building Permits


Below are the requirements for permitting for Marlboro County, South Carolina with the exception of City of Bennettsville.  All unincorporated areas located in Marlboro County and within the towns of Blenheim, Tatum, and Clio are included in our jurisdiction.  If you live in the city limits of Bennettsville (454-1907), you must contact the City Administration Offices to obtain permits. Permits are required for any construction and includes additions, renovations, and new constructions and must be completed by a licensed contractor. 

A building permit is required for ANY type of construction, addition or renovation greater than $2,000 in valuation, or that requires an inspection. Examples include, but are not limited to:

  • Replacing a roof
  • Door & window replacements
  • Decks & guardrails
  • Structural repairs
  • Moving of walls
  • New construction


Please click on Residential Building Permit application or Commercial Building Permit application to complete the application process. Once your application is submitted successfully you will be redirected back to this page. Please call 843-479-5602 ext. 10 with any questions. Please fill out the application in its entirety. Below is a list of references for information you may need:


  • Property address (call 479-5602 ext 20 for new addresses - this is property which has not previously had an address).

  • Property tax map # (available from Tax Assessor  (479-5602 ext 12) - also located in same office complex in courthouse with Building Codes).

  • Septic Tank Permit (Available from DHEC)

  • Power Company Name (If Progress Energy, customer must get a Premise Number by calling 1 (800) 452-2777.

If you are constructing an addition or new construction - Two (2) sets of sealed plans prepared by a registered design professional are required. After a plan review, one set of documents will be returned to be kept on the site during construction (pursuant to Section R106 of the 2015 International Residential Code). A digital copy of the plans can be submitted to

If you are constructing an addition or new construction - you must provide a plot plan with site of construction marked on the plan (may be obtained from Clerk of Court Office 479-5613).

In addition, if constructing or opening a business with Clio, a Town Business License is required. 


Fees are on Valuation.  Please click Fees for a schedule as adopted in June, 2017. 

Helpful Links